Youth Empowerment and Urban St (YES)
How to Read Course Descriptions
The bolded first line begins with a capitalized abbreviation that designates the subject area followed by the course number and title. The unit value is also displayed.
The course description outlines what topics are covered in the course.
Prerequisites: Coursework to be completed and/or requirements required before taking the course.
Co-requisites: Course(s) that must be taken in the same term.
General Education Key: Indicates the General Education area for which the course may fulfill a requirement.
- SD- Science Distributive Requirement
- BSD- Behavioral and Social Science Distributive
- HD- Humanities Distributive Requirement
- AD- Arts Distributive Requirement
- EC- English Composition Requirement
- PS- Public Speaking Requirement
- I- Interdisciplinary Requirement
- J- Diversity Requirement
- W- Writing Emphasis
- F- Foreign Languages Culture Cluster
- AR- Arabic Culture Cluster
- ASL- American Sign Language culture cluster
- CC- Classical Civilizations culture cluster
- FA- France & Francophone Area CC
- GER- Germany culture cluster
- IT- Italy Culture Cluster
- REE- Russia & Eastern Europe CC
- SP- Spanish Culture Cluster
Distance Education: Indicates if a course is approved to be offered via distance education. See the class schedule for details.
Typically Offered: Indicates what semester the course is typically offered.
Repeatable for Credit: Indicates if a student can take the course again and obtain credit.
Cross Listed: Indicates if there are any other course offerings that are considered equivalent to the course listing.
YES 250. Intro to Youth and Urban Community Work: Urban Prof Workshop. 3 Credits.
This course addresses professional dispositions for working in the urban environment. Students gain an awareness of the strengths of communities, as well as the forms of oppression that youth may experience in the urban environment.
YES 300. Youth Empowerment and the Urban Context. 3 Credits.
This course will immerse students in theories, historical contexts, and practices of leadership and democratic action through study, reflection and a semester-long partnership with an elementary or middle grades classroom in an urban school.
YES 301. Seminar in Youth-Led Media and Inquiry. 3 Credits.
Students will participate in a six-week intensive seminar on service learning/CEL and youth-led media as a particular strategy of CEL.