Other Admissions Information

Physical Examination Requirements

Information on physical examination requirements is available in the Student Affairs section of this catalog.

Students with Disabilities

West Chester University will make every effort to assure that students with disabilities will have access to all classes required for their program of study and will endeavor to remove all obstacles to a fulfilling, comprehensive university experience.

Students should contact the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities in Room 223 Lawrence Center to arrange suitable accommodations. Additional information can be obtained by calling 610-436-2564.

Second Baccalaureate Degree

An individual may pursue a second baccalaureate degree at West Chester University after earning the first baccalaureate degree either at West Chester University or another institution. Such an individual must apply for admission through the Office of Admissions as a transfer student.

Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Certification

Individuals who are interested in post-baccalaureate teacher certification, at either the undergraduate or graduate level, should contact the Office of Graduate Studies for admissions materials. Applicants will be referred to the appropriate faculty advisor(s) for completion of the Approved Program of Studies form.

Readmission of Former Undergraduate Students

Degree students who have not attended West Chester University for three or more consecutive semesters are classified as "inactive" and must request an application for readmission from the Office of Admissions.  Students applying for readmission who have attended any institutions of higher learning since leaving West Chester must request those institutions to forward transcripts of their records to:

Office of Admissions
West Chester University
West Chester, PA 19383

Readmitted students who have a disability that they previously did not disclose but wish to do so should contact the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities(OSSD) at 610-436-2564. These students will be informed of the appropriate documentation to submit as well as the assistance and support services available to them. Students who believe that their disability had an effect on their previous course work at the University and wish to have this fact considered should include that information in their personal statement. They also may wish to seek the support of the OSSD in the readmission process.

Readmitted students are bound by the requirements in general education, major, minor, and cognate areas at the time of readmission, except where permission is granted by the respective department concerning departmental requirements.

Students intending to enroll in student teaching in the first semester of readmission must file an application for student teaching with the individual departments at least four months before their expected readmission. See also "Student Teaching" in the section entitled "Academic Affairs."

All readmission applications, including all supporting documents, should be filed by August 1 for the fall semester and December 1 for the spring semester.

Readmission of Former Graduate Students

Readmission is not automatic and may be subject to additional conditions set by the department, school or college, or by the Dean of Graduate Studies. Students inquiring about readmission to their previous graduate program should contact the Office of Graduate Studies at 610-436-2943 or gradstudy@wcupa.edu.

Second Master's Degree

Students wishing to obtain a second master's degree from West Chester University (where the baccalaureate degree may have been earned at West Chester University or another institution) must meet all academic requirements set by the Office of Graduate Studies and the department concerned. Candidates for a second master's degree must earn a minimum of 24 credits beyond the hours applied toward the first master's degree. All new credits and additional departmental academic requirements must have been completed within a six-year period preceding the awarding of the second degree.

Senior Citizen Policy

The Senior Citizen Program allows retired Pennsylvania residents to attend West Chester University tuition free on a space-available basis. To qualify, the student must be retired, at least 60 years old, and have been a Pennsylvania resident for at least a year. Students may enroll as either degree or non-degree and may audit or take courses for credit. The program does not include internships, independent study, individualized instruction, student teaching, thesis, seminar, or any similar course requiring extra faculty compensation for the additional enrollment.

Senior citizen students may not register prior to the beginning of classes. They must attend the first meeting of the class(es) for which they wish to register and obtain the instructor's signature on their enrollment form, indicating there is space available in the class. They then return their completed enrollment form, along with a signed Senior Citizen Fee Waiver form, to the Registrar's Office. The Registrar's Office then schedules the student and submits the fee waiver to the Bursar's Office.

For additional information, visit the Registrar's Office website.

Criminal Convictions Policy

West Chester University is committed to ensuring a safe learning environment for all students and employees.  As a result, policy and procedures have been developed to protect all members of the University Community.


Criminal conviction:  “Any instance in any state or national jurisdiction where you have plead guilty or been found guilty by judge or jury to charges that you committed a felony offense. This includes any plea of ‘no contest’ or ‘nolo contendere,’ and any conviction that may be under current appeal.”

The term “criminal conviction” is not applicable to the following situations:

  1. An arrest not resulting in a charge
  2. A dropped charge
  3. An acquittal
  4. A conviction overturned on appeal
  5. An expunged conviction
  6. An executively pardoned conviction


If a prospective student (degree-seeking or non-degree) who meets all criteria for general university admission confirms a prior criminal conviction on his or her admission application, the following process is carried out:

  1. A copy of West Chester University’s Criminal Convictions Policy is provided to the applicant.
  2. A copy of the "Consent and Authorization to Access Additional Information" form is completed and returned by the applicant to the best of his or her ability.
  3. The applicant provides a written, detailed explanation of each incident that led to a conviction.
  4. The applicant submits a copy of all appropriate court documents.
    1. The criminal complaint(s) that initiated the criminal case(s)
    2. The guilty plea(s) or verdict form(s) that establish guilt
    3. The sentencing agreement(s) or order(s) that establish the criminal sentence
  5. The application and related materials enter the review process.

Consideration of Applicant’s Information

A prior conviction, in and of itself, does not automatically result in the denial of admission to the University, to a particular academic program, or to housing.  Cases are reviewed by the Criminal Convictions Review Committee on an individual basis, and information is only considered when it has been determined that all necessary admission criteria for the university and specific major to which the applicant applied have been met. However, because some state professional standards and licensure requirements bar the issuing of a license to an individual with certain criminal convictions, an individual who indicates such a conviction may be deemed ineligible for acceptance into related academic majors/programs, regardless of whether other university requirements have been met. In addition, the University does not generally accept anyone who has not completed their criminal sentence, absent any extraordinary circumstances.

Ultimately, decisions regarding admission and the imposition of conditions will be evaluated on the following criteria:

  1. The nature and severity of the offense or offenses
  2. The length of time since completion of the sentence, if applicable
  3. Whether the student has other criminal conduct
  4. The applicant's attitude toward the offense and its effect on the applicant's life
  5. The extent to which the conduct would be relevant to the applicant’s participation in the University Community

Questions about this policy may be directed to Undergraduate Admissions (610-436-3479), Graduate Admissions (610-436-2462), or the Office of the Registrar for non-degree (610-436-3541).