Requirements for Admission to Degree Candidacy
Application for degree candidacy must be made immediately on completion of the first 12 to 15 semester hours of course work in a degree program.
During the precandidacy period the student must do the following:
- Complete those courses which the department or program specifies as prerequisite to degree candidacy.
- Perform satisfactorily on examinations which the department or program may require for admission to degree candidacy.
- Maintain a cumulative average of at least 3.00.
- Meet specific GPA requirements as stipulated by the individual degree program.
Procedure for Application to Degree Candidacy
- Every student must file an application for admission to degree candidacy with the Dean of Graduate Studies. Forms are available on the Office of Graduate Studies website.
- When the application has been evaluated by the department concerned and by the Dean of Graduate Studies, a letter of acceptance or rejection will be sent to the student.
- Upon notice of acceptance, degree candidates must confer with their advisors to continue with their previously established program of study.
Students must be admitted to degree candidacy prior to registering for comprehensive exams and before registering for thesis credits.
Reapplication for Degree Candidacy
Applicants who fail to qualify as degree candidates may reapply via the myWCU portal. They must maintain a cumulative grade point average of 3.00.