Off Campus and Commuter Students
Off Campus and Commuter Services
Off Campus & Commuter Services (OCCS) was established to meet the needs of the off campus and commuter students by providing programs and resources to support your experience as a student at West Chester University. As an off campus or commuter student, you help make up approximately 69% of our student body. You are a part of the diverse population at WCU representing students who:
- Live at home and commute to campus
- Reside in an off campus neighborhood adjacent to campus
- Reside in an off campus community further from campus
- Are both traditional and non-traditional
- Are both full- and part-time
- Are both undergraduate and graduate
In addition, the office:
- Partners with Places4students.com, a company that specializes in providing off campus housing solutions. This service is FREE for all students to use as an effective method of finding roommates and a place to live off campus.
- Supports the Off Campus and Commuter Association (OCCA), a student organization that meets weekly to discuss issues and advocate for needs of the WCU off campus and commuter population;
- Offers off campus and commuter students resources and information for living off campus, transportation, and parking;
- Oversees FREE STUDENT LEGAL AID, providing consultation on a variety of civil and criminal issues - landlord/tenant, leases, citations, etc. This is offered by appointment, and a consultation is expected to last 15 minutes.
- Develops and advocates for long-range plans and research on the profile and needs of off campus and commuter students
This office is coordinated by a full time Director of Off Campus & Commuter Services, located in 250 Sykes Student Union, 610-436-2209.
Off Campus Housing
Students who choose to live in the Borough of West Chester and the surrounding communities must secure their own living accommodations. If you are interested in renting off campus in the Borough of West Chester, please take note of the STUDENT ZONING* ordinance. Off Campus & Commuter Services will provide information and support to students who are searching for off campus housing opportunities. OCCS partners with Places4Students.com to provide off campus housing solutions. Additional information about living off campus can be found on the web at www.wcupa.edu/occs/.
*"A living arrangement for at least two students to a maximum of four students who are unrelated by blood, marriage, or legal adoption. STUDENT: An individual who is enrolled or has made application and been accepted at a university, college, or trade school and is taking at least 6 credit hours and whose primary occupation is as a student or who is on a semester or summer break from studies at a university, college or trade school. This applies to undergraduate and graduate students."