Classification of Students

Matriculated Students

  1. Full matriculation, granted to a student who meets all admission requirements.
  2. Provisional matriculation, which may be granted to a student who:
    1. Has not taken the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT), Graduate Record Examination (GRE), or a specialized entrance examination required by the department concerned, or
    2. Is unable to present all prerequisites required by the department.
      Students must fulfill the conditions stipulated in their provisional acceptance by the time that application to degree candidacy is made. Credit earned as a provisional degree student may be accepted toward the degree only on recommendation of the student's advisor.
      Note: Some programs do not grant provisional matriculation.
  3. Teacher certification, which applies to students taking coursework to gain teacher certification.
  4. Certificate programs, which applies to students taking coursework to earn advanced certificates in program concentrations.

Non-Degree Students

Students often begin their graduate college careers by enrolling in courses in non-degree status for personal and professional growth. Students may enroll in graduate-level courses on a non-degree basis after having earned a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution. "Non-degree" is an academic term for "not formally accepted into a degree program."

Non-degree students may schedule up to nine credits of coursework on a non-matriculated basis and may be permitted to take a workshop or other noncredit-bearing class. Non-degree students are permitted to enroll in any graduate course in which they possess the necessary prerequisite coursework and/or can demonstrate, prior to enrollment, minimum performance competencies. Non-degree students may also be required to seek permission from the instructor. Students enrolling in courses under this policy are expected to meet the minimum GPA required for graduate work and are encouraged to seek the academic guidance of the graduate coordinator in their intended discipline. Completing courses on a non-degree basis does not guarantee admission, and credits earned may not necessarily be applied to a degree program at a later date. Non-degree students are not eligible to receive financial aid. Additional coursework may be taken only after the student has applied and been accepted as a matriculated student into one of the categories described above. Students taking only special courses, such as workshops, are the exception to this rule. Students should begin the formal application process immediately after they have decided to pursue a graduate degree at West Chester University.

For additional information, contact The Graduate School at 610-436-2943 or