Residential Services

Residence Life & Housing Services

The Office of Residence Life and Housing Services is responsible for creating and maintaining an environment in each housing facility that encourages academic, social, and emotional growth. Each facility is staffed with trained personnel who are available 24 hours a day to provide services, assistance, and a variety of information. All resident students are encouraged to read "The Guide to Residential Living" and the "Student Code of Conduct," which contain valuable information on all services, policies, and responsibilities pertaining to all housing facilities. The Office of Residence Life and Housing Services is located in 202 Lawrence Center, 610-436-3307.

On-Campus Housing

The University-owned residence halls on the North Campus provide accommodations for approximately 1,600 students in primarily double-occupancy accommodations. In addition, the University-owned South Campus apartment complex houses almost 500 residents in four- or five-person, fully furnished units with each bedroom having either single or double occupancy. The University also operates the College Arms Apartments which have units for one to four people. Arrangements for all housing options are made for the academic year.

The University, through University Student Housing (USH), also offers other housing options on campus that are referred to as affiliated housing. Suite-style residence halls on North Campus, including University, Allegheny, Brandywine, and Commonwealth halls, as well as The Village and East Village, which are apartment communities on South Campus, provide accommodations on a space-available basis. These facilities offer all the same opportunities found in University-owned housing, but are managed by USH.

Housing Assignments

The Office of Residence Life and Housing Services makes the housing assignments for all students living in all University-owned housing. University Student Housing handles assignments for all six affiliated-housing communities. All assignments are made without discrimination. Only individuals of the same gender will be assigned as roommates, suite mates, or in the same apartment unit. Each room has basic furnishings for comfortable living, and the students may make them more homelike with their own accessory additions. During orientation, students are informed about the services and equipment furnished by the University and those necessities that they must supply for themselves. Lounge and recreation areas, television, and a variety of other facilities and conveniences provide a pleasant setting for student life in each residence hall. Services are also available in a central location in the apartment communities.

Transfer Students

Transfer students are admitted both as resident students and as commuting students. Those transfer students who desire on-campus housing should indicate this at the time they apply for admission to the University.

Married Students

The University has no housing facilities for married students with their spouses or for students with children or dependents. Prior to registration, they will need to secure their own accommodations in the community.

Readmitted Students

Students readmitted to the University are eligible for on-campus housing as space permits unless a specific disciplinary sanction would prohibit such occupancy. Interested students should contact the Office of Residence Life and Housing Services for specific information about the application process.

Policy for Withdrawals

Resident students must vacate their University-owned residence hall or apartment within 24 hours of completing the withdrawal form in the Office of the Registrar. Resident students must secure the signature of the associate director of housing and dining administration prior to vacating their residence hall or apartment. Information regarding withdrawals from affiliated housing may be obtained by calling 610-430-4988.

Students with Disabilities

Students must be able to care for themselves independently or arrange for services that will allow them to perform normal life functions in the context of a residential setting, including, but not limited to, bathing, dressing, and other personal-care issues. This requirement may be met by having a personal-care attendant either live in or live off the premises, within certain restrictions. Some accommodations are also available for students who have special needs. Additional information, including available services and penalties for noncompliance, can be obtained by contacting the associate director of housing and dining administration at 610-436-3307. The full text of the policies and procedures are found in the WCU Handbook on Disabilities, "The Guide to Residential Living," or on the University web page at