Student Living


West Chester University provides housing facilities for its graduate students on a limited basis for the regular school year and all summer sessions. Graduate students may live in either a North Campus residence hall (that houses predominantly undergraduate students) or in selected units of the South Campus apartment complex. Students in the residence halls must be on the University meal plan; apartment residents have the option of any meal plan offered or no plan at all. North Campus residence hall rooms are all double occupancy; apartments are designed for five occupants in combinations of double and single bedrooms.

The University, through the West Chester University Foundation, also offers other housing options on campus that are referred to as affiliated housing. University Hall, Allegheny Hall, Brandywine Hall, and Commonwealth Hall are suite-style residence halls on North Campus, and The Village and East Village apartments have four-bedroom units located on South Campus. These facilities offer all the same opportunities found in University-owned housing but are managed through an arrangement with University Student Housing, a subsidiary of the WCU Foundation.

Graduate students are expected to abide by all regulations appropriate to their living arrangements. Upon acceptance to graduate study, students may contact the Office of Residence Life and Housing Services for additional information and applications for on-campus housing. Students are encouraged to contact this office as early as possible since the availability of on-campus housing varies based on the time of year that the request is made.

For assistance in locating a dwelling or apartment off campus, students may contact the Office of Off Campus and Commuter Services (OCCS). OCCS partners with to provide a FREE service for all students to use as an effective method of finding roommates and a place to live off campus. The office is located in Sykes Student Union, Rm 238, 610-436-2209.

The Office of Residence Life and Housing Services is located in 202 Lawrence Center, 610-436-3307. The University Student Housing Leasing Center is located in Commonwealth Hall, 610-430-4988.

Off Campus and Commuter Services

Off Campus & Commuter Services (OCCS) was established to meet the needs of the off campus and commuter students by providing programs and resources to support your experience as a student at West Chester University. As an off campus or commuter student, you help make up approximately 69% of our student body. You are a part of the diverse population at WCU representing students who:

  • Live at home and commute to campus
  • Undergraduate and graduate student
  • Reside in an off campus neighborhood adjacent to campus
  • Reside in an off campus community further from campus
  • Traditional and non-traditional student
  • Full and part time student

 OCCS oversees the Free Student Legal Service, providing 15 minute consultations on a variety of civil and criminal issues - landlord/tenant, leases, citations, etc. This service is available by appointment for undergraduate and graduate students.

Off Campus and Commuter Services are located in 250 Sykes Student Union, 610-436-2209.

Off Campus Housing

Students who choose to live in the Borough of West Chester and the surrounding communities must secure their own living accommodations. OCCS partners with to provide off campus housing solutions and will provide information and support to students who are searching for off campus housing opportunities. Additional information about living off campus can be found on the web at If you are interested in renting off campus in the Borough of West Chester, please note that it has student-zoned housing -- "a living arrangement for at least two students to a maximum of four students who are unrelated by blood, marriage or legal adoption" -- and considers the definition of a student as the following: "an individual who is enrolled or has made application and been accepted at a university, college, or trade school and is taking at least 6 credit hours and whose primary occupation is as a student or who is on a semester or summer break from studies at a university, college, or trade school." This applies to undergraduate and graduate students.