Graduate Assistantships and Scholarships

Graduate Assistantships

A limited number of graduate assistantships are available to qualified graduate students. Interested students should contact their graduate coordinator to determine the availability of assistantships. All hiring decisions are made by the department in which the assistantship is located. To be eligible to receive a graduate assistantship, the student must satisfy the following requirements:

  1. Be a fully matriculated, degree-seeking, graduate student; certificate or certification students are not eligible, and provisionally accepted students are not eligible unless the provisions are removed before the semester begins. Exceptions must be approved by the Dean of The Graduate School.
  2. Be in good academic standing. New students admitted provisionally are not eligible.

Information regarding work hours, tuition remission, and stipends for graduate assistantships may be found

Maintaining graduate assistantships requires students to demonstrate both satisfactory performance in meeting assigned hours, dates, and responsibilities, as well as good academic standing.

Students awarded graduate assistantships who fail to maintain good academic standing (minimum GPA of 3.0) or who fail to demonstrate satisfactory job performance will have their assistantships revoked or will not have them renewed. This policy includes grades received for courses taken during summer and winter sessions. Departments may stipulate higher academic standards for maintaining assistantships.

Graduate assistants must schedule for and maintain active enrollment in the appropriate number of graduate credits throughout the terms of their contract. Schedule changes could result in a financial penalty up to and including the full cost of the tuition waiver.

Residence Hall Graduate Assistants

Opportunities to serve as residence hall graduate assistants are open to all full-time graduate students. Graduate assistants live in the University residence halls and assist the full-time, professional resident director in providing direction for the personal, social, and educational development of the resident students. Residence life graduate assistants are also supervisors for student workers and serve as University judicial hearing officers. These graduate assistantship positions require a 25 hour work week and offer a stipend, tuition remission, and a room and meal plan. Preference is given to students enrolled in the M.S. higher education counseling/student affairs program and to those with prior residence hall living experience. Applications may be made through the Office of Residence Life and Housing, Sykes Student Union, 610-436-3307.

Graduate Scholarships and Awards

University admittance through The Graduate School is required in order to apply for scholarships. However, students are welcome to search for scholarship opportunities on the WCU Scholarship application website at any time. Keep in mind that not all applications are available at the same time, so it is important to periodically check for any updates.

Questions regarding the scholarship website or the scholarship process in general can be directed to the Office of Financial Aid at 610-436-2627 or

Go to to search and/or apply for available scholarships. Then follow the instructions found on the related page.