403 Business and Public Management Center
50 Sharpless Street
West Chester, PA 19383
Kathy Koval, Director of Business Programs
This is a program designed for students who wish to earn a Bachelor of Science degree in economics, finance, management, marketing, accounting, or international business.
The pre-business program will provide you with the following:
- An advisor who will help you select the appropriate sequence of courses and monitor your progress in meeting degree requirements.
- Time for you to make an informed choice of major by consulting with faculty members in all the business departments and using the extensive resources of the Career Development Center to gather information about career choice. Although the ultimate responsibility for meeting degree requirements rests with the student, use of these resources can lead to a more timely completion of degree requirements
- The course work in academic areas necessary for an appropriate foundation for the study of business. Students may select a specific major following successful completion of all prerequisite requirements.
The pre-business curriculum leading to entry into all majors in the Departments of Accounting, Economics and Finance, Management, and Marketing is as follows:
|Business Courses 1|
|ACC 201||Financial Accounting||3|
|ECO 111||Principles of Economics (Macro)||3|
|ECO 112||Principles of Economics (Micro)||3|
|ECO 251||Business Analytics I||3|
|MGT 200||Principles of Management||3|
|MKT 250||Principles of Marketing||3|
|Mathematics Courses 2|
|MAT 113||Algebra and Functions||3|
|MAT 143||Brief Calculus||3|
|MAT 161||Calculus I||4|
|MAT 162||Calculus II||4|
|Additional Requirements 3|
All courses must be completed with a C or better.
Option 1: Complete both MAT 113 and MAT 143 with a C or better in at least one of them. Option 2: Place directly into MAT 143 and pass with a C or better, or complete MAT 161 or MAT 162 with a C or better. MAT 113 is then replaced with a free elective.
Students must also have completed at least 45 credit hours and have an overall minimum GPA of 2.50.
All undergraduate students are held to the academic policies and procedures outlined in the undergraduate catalog. Students are encouraged to review departmental handbooks for program tips, suggested course sequences, and explanations of procedures. When applicable, additional policies for specific department programs may be listed below.
Prerequisites for Entry into the Business Majors: Accounting, Economics, Finance, Management, and Marketing
To apply for their business major, students must:
- Complete ECO 111, ECO 112, ECO 251, MGT 200, MKT 250, and ACC 201 with a C or better in each course
- Pass and complete both MAT 113 and MAT 143 with a C or better required in at lease one of them. If a student is placed directly into MAT 143 and receives a C or higher or has completed MAT 161 or MAT 162 with a C or better, then the student does not have to take MAT 113 (replaced as a free elective).
- Have a minimum overall GPA of 2.50
- Have at least 45 credit hours
These requirements must be met to be eligible to register for 300 and 400 level business courses. The same rules apply to all transfer students- both internal (those from within the University) and external (those from a non-WCU institution).