Transfer Admissions

General Requirements for Admission of Transfers

Individuals who have been enrolled in any post-secondary institution after graduation from high school and/or have attended West Chester University on a non-degree basis must apply as transfer students. A minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.00 is required for transfer consideration. Some academic departments have established prerequisite course work and specific grade point average requirements for admission. Special consideration is awarded to graduates of Pennsylvania community colleges and to students transferring from other universities in the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education. Specific information may be obtained from the Office of Admissions. Applicants whose secondary school credentials would not warrant admissions consideration as a first year student have an alternate pathway to apply as a transfer student. This requires the successful completion of at least 24 semester hours of transfer credit prior to applying as a transfer student.

How and When Transfers Should Apply

Applicants should apply electronically by accessing and clicking Apply Now. Please follow all instructions and submit required materials. The Office of Admissions should receive a transcript from all institutions attended. If preliminary transcripts are submitted, the student must send final, official transcripts when courses are completed at the end of the term. If a student has withdrawn from an institution prior to receiving grades and a transcript is unavailable, the students must submit an official letter from the Registrar regarding enrollment.

If a student has completed less than 24 semester hours of credit at the time of application, they must submit an official, final high school transcript. SAT/ACT test scores are optional. 

It is recommended that transfer applicants for the fall semester should complete the application process early in the preceding spring semester and that spring semester applications should be completed early in the preceding fall semester; however, certain academic programs can close earlier. If enrollment limits are met before this time, admissions will be closed.

Any offer of admission is contingent upon successful completion of current course work with at least a C average as documented by transcripts of all work attempted or completed.

Transcripts are evaluated and course/credit equivalencies are determined by the Office of the Registrar in accordance with the policies of the department to which the student seeks admission.

Transfer students denied formal admission to the institution may be eligible to enroll in coursework through the non-degree program, assuming they meet the admission and prerequisite requirements.

Student Transfer Policy

In 2016, the Board of Governors of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education adopted the Student Transfer Policy, which states that all college-level credits from regionally accredited institutions will be accepted and ensures unnecessary duplication of coursework. In addition, general education coursework will be accepted from regionally accredited institutions when comparable (though perhaps not identical) to West Chester University's general education. Students who transfer from another state system university with their general education program completed will have their general education requirements met. However, students may need to satisfy unique, signature West Chester University general education requirements if doing so does not extend the time to degree.

In the acceptance and application of undergraduate transfer college-level credits, West Chester University will first apply as many college-level credits as possible towards the satisfaction of general education requirements, then to requirements of the major, and finally to elective credits.

Guaranteed Admissions

Admission to West Chester University is guaranteed for undergraduate students transferring from a Pennsylvania community college with an associate's degree and for students transferring from a Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education university with a cumulative GPA of a 2.0 or higher. Admission to a major is not guaranteed as some academic departments have specific course prerequisites and grade point average requirements. Criminal conviction of a felony offense or dismissal from a previous institution for disciplinary reasons may limit the ability to enroll at West Chester University or complete certain academic majors and may affect approval to live in university-owned or university-affiliated housing.

Academic Passport

West Chester University’s Academic Passport Policy is designed to facilitate the transition of students and their credits with an earned Associate of Arts (A.A.), Associate of Fine Arts (A.F.A.), Associate of Science (A.S.), or Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S) degree from other institutions with Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) recognized accreditation. 

Under this policy, students will have automatically satisfied WCU’s general education requirements with the exception of a 3-credit Diverse Communities requirement.  This exception does not extend the student’s time to degree at WCU.  In addition, the Academic Passport will also waive the additional baccalaureate degree requirement of Speaking Emphasis.  Students will need to satisfy the Capstone requirement, the remaining credits of Writing Emphasis, and depending on the major, the Language & Culture requirements at WCU.  

Academic passport is available to students at any point during their WCU career and is applied when they offer a final transcript indicating their associate degree. This makes it possible for students to engage in reverse transfer to apply some WCU-earned credits to their community college to earn their associate degree while enrolled at WCU.

Statewide Program-to-Program (P2P)

This Pennsylvania statewide program-to-program articulation agreement provides a transfer credit pathway for Pennsylvania community college students to West Chester University with full junior standing in selected major programs.

Students must also meet the admissions requirements at West Chester University. Some academic departments have specific grade point average requirements for admission to the major.

More information about eligible degrees and participating institutions is available on the Pennsylvania Transfer and Articulation Center website.

Transfer of Credit

All college-level credits from regionally accredited institutions will be awarded transfer credit. A list of recognized accrediting organizations may be found on the Registrar's website. Credit for work completed at non-regionally accredited institutions, such as that from military training or other non-regionally accredited organizations, may be awarded when accompanied by a transcript from the American Council on Education (ACE) or Joint Services Commission Transcript (JST). Credits from non-regionally accredited institutions may also be granted on the recommendation of the student’s major department, in consultation with the college dean and Registrar's Office. (See also "Admission to West Chester" and the section on "Taking Courses Off Campus.")

Grades of D or above will be accepted for transfer. Grades in a course submitted for transfer as a major and/or minor program requirement must meet the minimum grade required by the department. For example, if a program requires that a student earn a B or better in a major and/or minor program requirement, then the student requesting transfer credit from another institution must have earned a minimum of a B in the parallel course. If a student earns a lower grade than the requirement, the department may require that the course be repeated at West Chester University.

Individual courses for transfer credit cannot be duplicated.  Duplication of credit occurs if the university deems the student should receive the same equivalency for different courses completed at an external institution. This applies to credit earned through an external institution, test credit or other source.  Equivalencies designated as "repeatable" for credit may be exempt.  See the course descriptions for the "repeatable for credit" designation.  Students can appeal these evaluation decisions through the Transfer Credit Appeal process.

If a student changes their major and/or minor, grades originally approved for transfer will be re-evaluated by the new major/minor department.

No course equivalency transfer credit will be given for WCU courses numbered at the 400 level, unless the courses are taken at an institution that awards baccalaureate degrees. Departments have the right to accept courses for their majors as 199 (e.g., BIO 199) or TRN 199.

Official transcripts will be evaluated by the Office of the Registrar. Students will be sent a copy of the evaluation immediately upon review.

Transfer Credit Appeals Process

All questions regarding the transfer of credit to West Chester University should be directed to the Registrar's Office. If a student wishes to appeal a transfer equivalency decision, they must complete the Transfer Credit Appeal form. Students must complete and submit this form, along with a course description and/or syllabus, to the appropriate academic department for approval. If additional information is needed to further review the student’s appeal, it will be the student’s responsibility to provide this information. Please allow two to three weeks for departments to make a final determination.

University Policies for Students Transferring from a Non-Regionally Accredited Institution

Applicants from collegiate institutions (including community colleges and junior colleges) that are not accredited by one of the six regional associations in the United States will be considered for admission if the applicant's cumulative index is 2.00 (C) or better. High school credentials may be requested.

The evaluation of courses listed on transcripts from an institution not accredited by one of the six regional associations will be made by the student's major department in consultation with the faculty dean and transfer credit analyst. All evaluations are subject to review by the Provost and academic vice president.