Health and Counseling Services Information

The Department of Counseling and Psychological Services

The Department of Counseling and Psychological Services (The Counseling Center) is located in 241 Lawrence Center (610-436-2301). All currently enrolled undergraduate and graduate students may walk in for a brief triage assessment (M - F, between 1 and 3 pm), at which time a determination is made to help the student receive the most appropriate mode of treatment (e.g., individual, group, or a referral off campus). The Counseling Center includes licensed psychologists, licensed counselors, consulting psychiatrists, and graduate-level trainees with whom students may discuss their concerns in strict confidence.

Counseling Services

Since the Counseling Center provides services for a wide range of concerns, each student's experience will be tailored to meet their needs. Students may wish to focus on their emotions and learn better ways to cope, improve their interpersonal skills, resolve personal conflicts, or clarify their educational or vocational choices. Any of the following approaches may be implemented to address a student's concerns:

  1. Individual psychological counseling consists of a brief form of treatment in which the counselor and the student engage in a one-to-one experience. The focus is typically on resolving personal or interpersonal conflicts. The goal is to improve the student's expertise at making meaningful choices and recognizing patterns of behavior that can be changed for the better. Counseling also may help students avoid choosing behaviors that restrict personal growth and undermine their well-being.
  2. Group counseling consists of a small number of peers and one or two facilitators. Such groups meet weekly with a goal of improving interpersonal relationships. In addition, some groups have a very specific focus. Past groups have included a support group for students dealing with substance abuse, a group dealing with grief/loss, a sexual identity group, a women's group, and assertiveness training. An updated list of ongoing groups can be found on the Counseling Center's web page at
  3. Individual career counseling consists of a one-to-one experience that focuses on clarifying the student's interests and career aspirations. Career choice is most solid when it is an outgrowth of better understanding oneself. Such understanding is advanced by the thoughtful exploration of values, interests, and abilities.  Students may also find career guidance via the Twardowski Career Development Center.
  4. Assessment/testing is primarily limited to vocational interest tests which can help clarify educational choice and career planning. The student and counselor can determine whether such testing might be helpful. The Counseling Center does not offer disability testing; please contact the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities (OSSD) for off-campus sites.  If  psychological testing is required or desired, an appointment may be made with the Counseling Center's Case Manager to locate a provider in the community who conducts such testing.
  5. Consultation services for staff and faculty are available by calling the Counseling Center's main number (610-436-2301) during regular business hours . Psychologists may be able to assist with crises, program planning, group and interpersonal communications, and referrals to other agencies.
  6. The Counseling Center also has an Alcohol and Other Drug (AOD) counselor. Note that students may not use this individual to meet sanctions imposed by the court.  The AOD counselor does not send notice of attendance or progress to any outside individuals, excluding WCU's Office of Student Conduct.  Most students who are motivated to make changes and reduce their drug or alcohol consumption are appropriate for the AOD counselor.  This person also works with students who have received sanctions through WCU's Office of Student Conduct.

Student Health Services

The University maintains a Student Health Center staffed by physicians, nurse practitioners, and registered nurses. The Health Center staff is available to meet emergency and first-aid needs, and to perform routine treatment of minor illnesses and minor surgical conditions.

Care provided by Student Health Services includes the following:

  1. Acute medical care, including sore throat, cold, flu, and other illnesses
  2. Minor surgical care, including suture placement and removal, and abscess care
  3. Sexually transmitted infection (STI) and HIV testing, treatment, and referrals
  4. Gynecological services, including routine examinations, contraceptives, and pregnancy testing
  5. General preventative care, including immunizations and nonathletic general physicals
  6. First-aid

During the fall and spring semesters, Student Health Services is open Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 6 p.m., and Saturday, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. Hours of operation during summer and winter sessions are 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Visits are by appointment, except for emergency situations. Any emergencies during the night and on weekends may be treated at the Chester County Hospital Emergency Room. 

All Student Health Services practitioners have received training to meet the unique needs and situations of the LGBTA community.

Student Health Services is located on the lower level of Commonwealth Hall. The Student Health phone number is 610-436-2509.

Physical Examination Requirements

Each semester, new students receive e-mail information about Student Health Services which includes instructions on how to submit health history and immunization information electronically via the web portal at No physician signature is required. Electronic submission of this form is requested by the start of classes.

A physical examination is no longer a general University requirement and is only necessary if needed by a specific academic major or athletic group. The professor or coach will provide the student with this information.

Insurance Programs

Because of the unpredictable nature of medical and surgical emergencies, all students are encouraged to be covered by a health insurance program. Information on insurance health programs is e-mailed to students prior to registration or may be obtained directly from the Student Health Services website .

Insurance requirements may be mandated by specific departments and/or athletic programs. For example, there are special liability insurance requirements for students in the nursing program. Refer to the appropriate section (e.g., academic department, athletic program) in the catalog for further information on these requirements.

Communicable Diseases

A current report of a negative tuberculin test or chest X-ray showing no active tuberculosis (TB) is mandated by the Pennsylvania Department of Education for all student teachers and students participating in a field experience in the public schools. The TB test can be given at Student Health Services for a nominal charge.

Pennsylvania state law requires the meningococcal vaccine, or a signed waiver, for all students living in University housing. Guidelines published by the Centers for Disease Control and the American College Health Association will be adhered to and revised as appropriate to protect the health of those in the University community.

Because of the potential for transmission of several infectious diseases, all students utilizing injectable medicines will be required to show evidence of satisfactory disposal of needles and syringes. Student Health Services will provide free disposal of medical waste.