JYA: Junior Year Abroad
How to Read Course Descriptions
The bolded first line begins with a capitalized abbreviation that designates the subject area followed by the course number and title. The credit hour value is also displayed.
Components: Indicates that the course has multiple components, such as lecture (LEC) and laboratory (LAB). The corresponding faculty contact hours are included in parentheses [e.g., LEC (2), LAB (3)] but are not related to the number of credits the student receives.
The course description outlines what topics are covered in the course.
Prerequisites: Coursework and/or other requirements to be completed before taking the course.
Corequisites: Course(s) that must be taken in the same term.
"Recommended courses": Prerequisites or corequisites that are not required for enrollment in a particular course but would aid the student in successful completion of that course.
"Gen Ed Attribute for Students Admitted Prior to Fall 2020": Indicates the general education attributes that apply to a particular course for a student whose university admit term is before Fall 2020.
"Gen Ed Attribute for Students Admitted Fall 2020 and After": Indicates the general education attributes that apply to a particular course for a student whose university admit term is Fall 2020 or later.
"Gen Ed Attribute": Indicates the general education attributes that apply to a particular course, regardless of the student's university admit term.
General Education Key: List of available general education areas that a particular course may satisfy. Certain areas cannot be simultaneously satisfied by the same course. See General Education Requirements for more information.
- SD - Science Distributive Requirement
- BSD - Behavioral & Social Science Distributive Requirement
- HD - Humanities Distributive Requirement
- AD - Arts Distributive Requirement
- EC - English Composition Requirement
- I - Interdisciplinary Requirement
- J - Diverse Communities Requirement
- W - Writing Emphasis Requirement
- SE - Speaking Emphasis Requirement
- ET - Ethics Requirement
- F - Foreign Languages Culture Cluster
- AR - Arabic Culture Cluster
- ASL - American Sign Language Culture Cluster
- CC - Classical Civilizations Culture Cluster
- FA - French & Francophone Area Culture Cluster
- GER - German Culture Cluster
- IT - Italian Culture Cluster
- REE - Russian & Eastern European Culture Cluster
- SP - Spanish Culture Cluster
Distance Education: Indicates if a course is approved to be offered via distance education. See the class schedule for details.
Consent: Department must give permission for a student to enroll in a course. Generally done through an electronic code that is created in myWCU, allowing the student to then enroll themselves into the course.
Typically Offered: Indicates what semester the course is usually offered. Availability is not guaranteed, as some courses are not offered every year.
Repeatable for Credit: Indicates if a student can take the course more than once and obtain credit. Verify the maximum allowable number of credits with the department.
Cross Listed: Indicates if there are any other course offerings that are considered equivalent to the course listing.
JYA 400. Senior Year Abroad (Fall Semester). 12 Credits.
JYA 450. Senior Year Abroad (Spring Semester). 12 Credits.