Social Studies, Ethnic Studies (SSC)
How to Read Course Descriptions
The bolded first line begins with a capitalized abbreviation that designates the subject area followed by the course number and title. The credit hour value is also displayed.
Components: Indicates that the course has multiple components, such as lecture (LEC) and laboratory (LAB). The corresponding faculty contact hours are included in parentheses [e.g., LEC (2), LAB (3)] but are not related to the number of credits the student receives.
The course description outlines what topics are covered in the course.
Prerequisites: Coursework and/or other requirements to be completed before taking the course.
Corequisites: Course(s) that must be taken in the same term.
"Recommended courses": Prerequisites or corequisites that are not required for enrollment in a particular course but would aid the student in successful completion of that course.
"Gen Ed Attribute for Students Admitted Prior to Fall 2020": Indicates the general education attributes that apply to a particular course for a student whose university admit term is before Fall 2020.
"Gen Ed Attribute for Students Admitted Fall 2020 and After": Indicates the general education attributes that apply to a particular course for a student whose university admit term is Fall 2020 or later.
"Gen Ed Attribute": Indicates the general education attributes that apply to a particular course, regardless of the student's university admit term.
General Education Key: List of available general education areas that a particular course may satisfy. Certain areas cannot be simultaneously satisfied by the same course. See General Education Requirements for more information.
- SD - Science Distributive Requirement
- BSD - Behavioral & Social Science Distributive Requirement
- HD - Humanities Distributive Requirement
- AD - Arts Distributive Requirement
- EC - English Composition Requirement
- I - Interdisciplinary Requirement
- J - Diverse Communities Requirement
- W - Writing Emphasis Requirement
- SE - Speaking Emphasis Requirement
- ET - Ethics Requirement
- F - Foreign Languages Culture Cluster
- AR - Arabic Culture Cluster
- ASL - American Sign Language Culture Cluster
- CC - Classical Civilizations Culture Cluster
- FA - French & Francophone Area Culture Cluster
- GER - German Culture Cluster
- IT - Italian Culture Cluster
- REE - Russian & Eastern European Culture Cluster
- SP - Spanish Culture Cluster
Distance Education: Indicates if a course is approved to be offered via distance education. See the class schedule for details.
Consent: Department must give permission for a student to enroll in a course. Generally done through an electronic code that is created in myWCU, allowing the student to then enroll themselves into the course.
Typically Offered: Indicates what semester the course is usually offered. Availability is not guaranteed, as some courses are not offered every year.
Repeatable for Credit: Indicates if a student can take the course more than once and obtain credit. Verify the maximum allowable number of credits with the department.
Cross Listed: Indicates if there are any other course offerings that are considered equivalent to the course listing.
SSC 199. Transfer Credit. 1-3 Credits.
Repeatable for Credit.