Secondary English Certification Option

College of Education and Social Work
Required Courses
Select two of the following linguistics courses:3
Introduction to Linguistics
Introduction to Linguistics
Structure of Modern English
Structure of Modern English
Complete the following advanced method courses:
SED 390Teaching English in Secondary Schools3
SED 392Writing and Teaching Writing Secondary English3
Advanced English Courses 1
Select one course in literary theory (e.g., ENG 296 or ENG 501)3
Select one course in British literature3
Select one course in American literature3
Select one course in world literature3
Select one course in literature for young adults (e.g., LIT 398 or ENG 593; prereq: literary theory)3
Select a course that theorizes teaching (e.g., ENG 506, ENG 595, ENG 596, ENG 600)3
Select one course in reading texts rhetorically ("The Rhetorics of...")3
Select one composition and rhetoric elective3
Select one English elective3
Total Credits Required 36


  • Students must attain a GPA of 3.0 to student teach and have a GPA of 3.0 at the conclusion of their program.

  • Students should achieve Teacher Candidacy and should have taken ENG 230, ENG 331, EDT 300, ERM 351, and EDS 306 before taking the advanced methods courses (SED 390, SED 392). "Teacher Candidacy" means that students have met the requirements to do advanced study in a teacher education program. To achieve Teacher Candidacy, students must have passed all their Praxis I (PPST) tests, earned at least 48 college credits (including three in writing, three in literature, and six in math), attained the required GPA (usually 2.8), and passed the Department of English's Test of Writing Competency. Then they need to apply for Teacher Candidacy at the College of Education and Social Work.

  • The Department of English's Test of Writing Competency is offered once in the fall and once in the spring. It is the student's responsibility to find out when the test is given and to make arrangements for attendance.

  • Students must submit a successful writing portfolio before student teaching.

  • Many of these classes are offered during the day and during the fall and spring semesters only, especially the advanced methods courses.

  • Students should contact the Department of Educational Foundations and Policy Studies to be properly advised about education courses.

For more information concerning secondary English certification for post-baccalaureate students, contact the Department of Secondary Education graduate coordinator.